Thursday 13 August 2015


  Maui......Where Life Is A Beach

  The US State of Hawaii is very popular with tourists. If you are looking for: nice beaches for relaxing, swimming, surfing, diving or snorkeling then the Hawaii Islands may be for you. The main islands are Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Lanai, Molokai, and the Big Island of Hawaii. Most people land on Oahu which has the well known city of Honolulu, Waikiki Beach; and the famous Pearl Harbour.

   I landed on Oahu and awaited my short flight over to Kahului Airport on Maui where I would stay with  friends (John + Ann) in Lahaina on the west coast; it was very hot on that day...much like Fiji. One thing I found out early was how many Japanese own hotels and resorts here, I guess business is separated from historical events (Pearl Harbour). On Maui, after tourism, sugar cane and pineapple exports sustain the economy.

                      

                       

    When I awoke on my second day I used John's bike to ride around the northwest coast; the scenery was nice and the 80 km. pedal up and down the hills was a workout. This day was very satisfying because with some effort I found tranquility (not many cars use this part of the island), nice scenery, and I covered new ground. The next day I started off by walking to the top of the sugar cane roads and past the locals homes; that was not so touristy like the nice beaches; many junk cars and piles of garbage. I continued into the mountain valleys and followed the Kanaha Valley which was very scenic; after an 8 hour hike I was beat but satisfied. That night Ann told me that a friend needed some help coaching 8 + 9 year old's with soccer so the next day I met with him and decided I would coach Tues. and Thurs. since I was there for one month. After meeting this guy John, Ann and I headed to Napili for snorkeling, I saw some beautiful fish.

  I had met a Hawaiian girl on the plane (Tafa) and I give her John's number, she phoned and asked me if I wanted to go to the club dancing. We met at the club, she brought her sister; I learned from her that this "very friendly" young lady (Tafa) was married. John told me that Hawaiian girls will meet guys and lead them on in hopes that the sucker will buy her drinks all night.

  A couple of days later I went with Ann and her friend for another 8 hour hike; this time up the Olowalu Valley. We ventured until we got to an unclimbable waterfall surrounded by sheer cliffs; there were so many types of cactus. That was a tiring day, despite all of the cuts I got, I found the day very satisfying.

                                    

 In the next days I snorkeled every morning, the Black Rock up by Kaanapali Beach was the best I had done thus far. On a Friday I went up to the Big L that is mounted above Lahaina and got some good photo's; above that is a grave for David Malo who died in 1853; he was the first Hawaiin to read. On the Saturday I refereed soccer and then got prepped for Halloween; the Halloween Parade along Front St. was incredible; people from all over come to this event for the costume competition, amazing (and expensive) costumes.

   After some beach life and hanging lose for a couple of weeks listening to KA-01 95 FM I thought I would go the library and pick up a hiking Maui book. Ann knew this Sharon that was looking for someone to clean condos for a day here and there and I thought I may as well stay busy, I was already refereeing and coaching soccer in between biking, hiking, and snorkeling. It was Christmas and there I was feeling hot in shorts and a t-shirt. We went to see John Denver at the Lahaina Civic Amphitheatre, he played most of his old classics.

                       


        

Photo's turned while loading



  I picked a hike from the Hiking Maui book and set out to unintentionally put myself through hell. I bicycled 25 kms east of Lahaina to reach the start of the Kealalola Ridge Hike; it was supposed to be 4 hours to climb to a height of 1,500 metres (4,500 ft.). Once I gained elevation I could see the highway dotted with cars that looked like little match boxes, the lower landscape was very brown but the alpine was lush. It started to rain when I got up a bit further and I walked in that liquid sunshine for over an hour before the sky cleared again, giving me tremendous views of the rugged gully with a 1,000 metre (3,000 ft.) drop. I followed the Ukumehame Gulch for awhile before I headed up into the clouds and more rain. While weaving through ferns; eating thimble berries along the way, I stumbled on a grow op. Who would think that a hike in the Hiking Maui book would lead a person into someones Marijuana Crop?

  I was so wet and getting cold with the higher elevation so I turned to head back. Making my way down through the mist I approached these two guys who were on their way up, they were carrying water and fertilizer; they were not smiling. Once I got down below the clouds I got a great view of Kihea across the Maalaea Bay. I found John's stashed bike and road the 25 kms. back....what a workout day.

  My next trip started with refereeing at Kahului before riding around the coast for photo's; there was a great start with a rainbow that had 13 colours. I got as far as the Nakalele Blowhole; for which I got good photo's, and then it started to rain....then pour. I had a 30 km. bike ride home and the rain was coming down in buckets; I provided a lot of entertainment for drivers and their passengers. A few days later I went to another John's place in Wailuku where I stayed or 2 days.

  From Wailuku my plan was to ride up to the Haleakala Crater so I headed out on the 45 km ride to the start of the climb with rain and wind at my back. As I was riding the rain became torrential and the gusts of wind blew the bike off the road several times. From the turnoff for the crater it is about 40 kms along a road covered in switch backs to reach the top; I was thinking I was crazy. I climbed about 1,000 metres (3,000 ft.) and I could feel my knees burn; the terrain was very steep; I was tired, soaked, and muddy. Once I got up to 2,000 metres the visibility was nil and the rain/wind were incredible. I re-examined my purpose (to see and photograph the crater) and realized that I would not even be able to see the crater never mind photograph it. I knew there was a large tropical system in the area but this was my second last day so I had to try to make it up the mountain. Feeling dejected and beat by the elements I headed for the long journey back to Lahaina; in my journal I wrote " today I suffered so much, for nothing". I rode 135 kms., much of that against the wind; no wonder my knees hurt.

  After riding about 1,500 kms on Maui I finished my time on the Hawaiian Islands at Pearl Harbour on Oahu; I will save you the details of that, you can search on-line. There would have been a huge difference in my visit to Maui if I did not stay with friends; it is very expensive there, especially for one month. I would have to say that I found this second largest island a paradise. The beaches were beautiful, the water was crystal clear, and there are plenty of things to do; for both the outdoors person or the book reader. If you do not want to punish yourself with bike rides and hikes you can always have "life on the beach" on a Hawaiian Island.










No comments:

Post a Comment