Friday 17 July 2015

      Bicycle Trip Part 1.......Learning Lessons Already

   In 1984 for reasons barely known to me, I got it in my head to travel by bicycle from Squamish, BC to Hamilton, Ontario. In 1984 there were not many people doing long hauls by bicycle; the cycling conditions on the roads were proof of this; the Trans-Canada was one lane each way. My journal is filled with belly aching content describing: pain, misery, sleepless nights, weather woes and near death experiences......some my own fault; seems many drivers were not prepared to share the road with a cyclist.
   North of Yale, BC was my first close call and that was supposed to be a learning experience for me. I was looking and admiring the mountains when I went off the skinny bit of pavement that laid on the right of the white line and ended up in the thick gravel. I was traveling a good speed so wandering into the gravel caused me to fish tail and lose control; After strong arming the bike I ended up in the middle of the lane. The good driver behind me was already on the break and did not bury me; I waved and thought to myself that I had better watch out or I would not make it out of BC.
   I was amazed how many people asked me if I took photo's on my bike trip; I usually said something like, "it takes so long riding up the Rockies that I have plenty of time to look around while I am standing/pumping on the pedals. Between Golden and Revelstoke there was an all you can eat restaurant where I: had 4 platefuls, 10 milks, 5 orange juice, and 3 bowls of fruit cocktail. Before I left Rogers Pass in the Rockies a couple in their camper home asked me if I wanted them to drive behind me while I went down the 8km stretch of road descending the pass. With my mind set at ease I used the middle of the lane to race through the 1 tunnel and 4 huts, screaming the whole way. At the bottom this man in the camper told me that I had reached speeds of 75 kms per hour. With 4 loaded saddle bags it is easy to keep speed, once you have attained the speed through a lot of power peddling.
    Close to the town of Field I had my head down while clipping along at a good speed; my eye was on my mirror and there was no traffic approaching. Since there was no traffic behind me I took my focus off of staying to the right of the white line. I just happened to look up in time to see a drivers look of shock as his truck was passing a car. He was so close to hitting me that the breeze/sandblast almost stopped me. I had to pull over, I was so shaken up; a self lecture followed and I was reminded that I could not take my attention off of riding safe.
   Once I got to Calgary I saw the end of the big mountains, I was happy to be averaging about 150 kms. per day. Once on the plains I provided entertainment for drivers who witnessed me riding through rain storms. Most every child in the cars laughed, smiled or pointed at me as the driver of their car had the wipers on high speed. I knew from my first week that I although I was putting myself through hell that I would want to make it to St.Johns Newfoundland......somehow !!
 

3 comments:

  1. that sounds insane and scary but what an adventure! I'm wondering if you make the return trip by bike?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just going to work on part 2....good thing I have my journals, accuracy is important

      Delete