Sunday 19 July 2015



        Bicycle Trip Conclusion....Cold and Tired


   When I was alone on the bicycle for 12 hours a day, it give me so much time to think, or daydream. What struck me the most was the memory of old songs that came into thought, some I hadn't heard for so many years; others I could not get off my mind for the whole day. I had brought a walkman with me for music but I was always too tired to listen to music once I got inside the tent. Speaking of tired....I slept in some unusual places, mostly so I could stay out of the rain. I was in a barn, an abandoned truck, on a lawn chair, in a laundromat, an empty old house, in a culvert under a busy highway......
   During this trip I often seemed to be waiting for money to be sent to a post office (a loan by my parents) and a couple of times I had no money for food. One such time started on the day before  I left North Sydney, Nova Scotia on the 7 hour ferry to Port Aux.Basque, Newfoundland. I had little food but was happy with the scenery on the 200 km journey along the coast. By the time the ferry boat was loading I was so hungry (and broke), as the ship bounced in the rough waters of the Cabot Straight it might have been good that I had an empty stomach. Once I got off the ferry I asked at the tourist information where I could work off a meal and they sent me to the Salvation Army, they gave me a voucher for a breakfast. It would be 2 days before I would get to a branch of my mom's bank in Corner Brook, it was just over 200 kms. away.
   I went about 100 kms and the scenery was beautiful but the weather was not cooperating; the light rain turned to a heavy downpour, and the temperature was only 7 degrees. I ended up with a flat tire so I thought I may as well set up the tent, it was far too windy so I pulled my plastic over my body and hugged myself. I was on the bike early since I did not sleep, it was one of the most miserable nights since the start, more of those nights were to come. This next day was cold, rainy and windy, I seem to be handling it fine until I looked up and saw a sign that said "warning 200 km wind zone ahead", then I had an emotional breakdown. I started focusing on the negative things: my cramped legs from being huddled all night, the cold, the pain, and hunger. I was so close but yet so far (from Port Aux Basque to St Johns is about 1,000 kms.)
   I was so hungry that my whole body was shaking...with the cold and wet conditions I was getting weak, almost too weak to ride 100 kms. more to Corner Brook. I made it alive and ate/drank until I was so bloated...my mental state improved dramatically. I took the better part of the day to get the money and eat so I was only able to get 50 kms  east before I took up residence in Deer Lake Park. Although there was discomfort associated with the weather conditions the traffic was not too bad until I got east of Gander. Ever so slowly the traffic increased as I got closer to St Johns and I got back into being honked at, sand blasted, and blown off the road by trucks. I had about 4 days and nights where all of my belongings got (and stayed) soaked. Once I reached Clarenville I met Wayne and Janie Adams who were a blessing. I stayed over in their home, all of my possessions got dried by the wood stove, and she phoned the newspaper who sent a reporter over to interview me.
    The next night I woke up at 3am with my nose running, it was 5 degrees outside the tent, this did not matter as much as previous times because by days end I would be in St. Johns. I managed to get a stand by flight this same day from St Johns-Toronto, then I got on a Toronto-Edmonton flight; sat there from 3:30am-8:30 am, then I got a flight to Vancouver.
  In wrapping this up, I pointed out two of my mistakes in an earlier story (time of year and weight of bike with bags) but there were so many more mistakes that I made; it was a learning experience. Some things I would do differently, now that I have the wisdom. Despite my description in these blogs, maybe I am the only one who fully grasps the difficulty for me to ride 150-200 kms per day; against all the odds. These days this kind of trip would be easier for a cyclists safety, riding is much more the norm this many years later and governments have provided safer avenues for cyclists to travel.
   I did keep my cheap Norco bicycle, I melted the aluminum, crushed the steel and mounted it on wood, covering it with a coat of fibreglass. The trip is nothing but a memory...stored in a journal that nobody will read, accept my daughter maybe.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, shows the tenacity and determination you have but glad you weren't foolish enough to try and ride back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been difficult to ride up the Rockies with snow

    ReplyDelete